Welcome Login

For current information from GSA about COVID19 please click HERE

You are here

What do I need to know about the new Unique Entity ID in SAM.gov?

As  you are probably aware, all entities wanting to register to do business with the federal government must first obtain a DUNS number.  The DUNS number is the current unique identifier that the government uses to verify your entity.  

On April 4, 2022, the U.S. government will switch from using the DUNS number to a new Unique Entity ID (SAM), also known as a UEI. IAE systems such as SAM.gov (entity registration, contract award notification) FPDS.gov, eSRS, FSRS, FAPIIS, and CPARS will require the use of your UEI after April 4, 2022.  During the next nine months,  we’ll continue to share all of the information you need to know here on Interact each step of the way. 

Depending on how you use SAM.gov, here are some things you need to know at this point:

1. I’m an entity already registered in SAM.gov:

You’ve already been assigned a new Unique Entity ID! It’s viewable in your entity registration record in SAM.gov.  (Note: If you have a DUNS Number but are not registered in SAM.gov, you will not have a UEI assigned to your entity. 


2. I’m a sub-awardee NOT registered in SAM.gov and I currently provide a DUNS number for sub-award reporting:

Starting in October 2021, you’ll be able to request a new UEI-only in SAM.gov; full SAM.gov registration will not be required if you only need a UEI.  Sub-award reporting will not require the Unique Entity ID (SAM) until April 2022.  Work closely with your primes to determine their timeline for providing them the Unique Entity ID (SAM).


3. I pull award data and reports from IAE sites and view the DUNS number:

The Unique Entity ID (SAM) is available now, along with the DUNS number, in SAM.gov APIs, data extracts, contract data reports, and the FPDS Atom Feed.  In April 2022, only the new UEI will be provided in the data and reports, and the DUNS field will go away.


4a. I’m going to register my entity in the future but prior to April 4, 2022.  Do I still need the DUNS number? How do I get a Unique Entity ID (SAM)?

Prior to April 2022, you will continue going  to D&B to get a DUNS number to register your entity in SAM.gov.  You will be assigned a Unique Entity ID (SAM) as a part of the SAM.gov registration process.


4b. I’m going to register my entity in the future but after April 4, 2022.  Do I still need the DUNS number?  How do I get a Unique Entity ID (SAM)?

After April 2022, you will be assigned a Unique Entity ID (SAM) as part of the SAM.gov registration process.  You will no longer need a DUNS number for registration.


In preparation for the full transition to the Unique Entity ID (SAM), you should prepare any of your own internal systems to accept the new identifier and to stop using the DUNS number for federal awards processes by April 2022.


5. When should I start using my new Unique Entity ID (SAM)? 

That depends on how you interact with federal award systems.  Federal agencies will begin to migrate to the Unique Entity ID between now and April 2022.  Pay special attention to instructions they provide regarding the use of the new identifier.  

Stay tuned to this space for more information about this topic, especially as we get closer to April 2022.

If you need assistance with your SAM.gov account or have other technical issues, go to the Federal Service Desk at FSD.gov to search for frequently asked questions. 


Views: 1287

The Integrated Award Environment (IAE) is a government-wide initiative administered by GSA’s Federal Acquisition Service (FAS). We manage the suite... More

To stay informed on the group's latest updates, subscribe here.

  • msamha's picture
  • eric.a.coop's picture
  • ScottBS's picture